Thursday 26 June 2014

Stories of our Computers in Homes Whanau in Whanganui

Every year we survey the families who graduated from Computers in Homes 12 months ago.  These stories tell us what people got from computers in homes.  I wanted to share with you a small sample of the comments that show why we have computers in homes.  Here are their stories:


  • The whole world comes into your home having a computer. Having a computer is especially important for her children, for their homework.  "My daughter has done a lot of work around kapa haka. Both of my children have got better at maths. The games have helped my son which shows in that his mid-term report was good. They have come a long way. It is a blessing having a computer because the knowledge is here for them. You have the world and the library and everything in your house.”  - KW 29/11/2013
  • GS says “to go from not knowing to being able to be in touch with people and have information right at your fingertips is an amazing thing.  He says he’s figured out how to get viruses off his PC really quickly now. He has completely stripped the PC apart and put it back together!  He is a motor mechanic by trade and often needs to get information. He now works from home, so it is really handy having the computer at home. Otherwise he would have to go to the library and photocopy stuff etc. It’s much more convenient and quicker this way.  It’s only been in the last couple of years that he has even started to use a computer.   “My son's skills have definitely improved, he's really adept on the computer.  - GS 4/12/2013
  • "My children's reading skills have improved. They like reading the encyclopedias! My four year old's hand/eye coordination has improved. She can use the mouse and the arrows to move the cursor. They liked playing games when we had the internet on. My daughter loves the Daisy maths.  They go to what they know on the computer. I'm impressed with their progress, it gave me a fright when I discovered they were reading the encyclopedia! They tell me "it's cool to read it on the computer." I think the computer is an exciting way for them to learn. I "like" having the computer, and the kids "love" it. We’ve certainly saved petrol not going to the library."  TW 11/12/2013
I will keep adding these stories.  In the next three weeks we are finalising our course for July to December 2014.  I am hoping we will be offering 6 courses in Castlecliff, Gonville,three courses in two venues in the City, and Aramoho and Marton.  Keep checking here and our community on Facebook  Computers in Homes Wanganui.





No comments: